Tuesday 6 November 2012

Olafur Eliasson


After examining the work of Erika Craig I decided to review other artist who also incorporates water into their work. I was very interested in the work of Olafur Eliasson who created the “New York City waterfalls”. Four massive waterfalls were installed in the east river in 2008 with water pumped from the river. These massive pieces of work are incredibly inspiring; it made me want to investigate Eliassons work more.


 So I began by looking at some of Eliassons other work such as the “take your time" exhibit at P.S.1 which consisted of a very large tilted disc-shaped mirror suspended horizontally from a gallery ceiling. What strikes a person at first is the omniscient, bird’s-eye reflection of the room below, with the person standing in the middle of it. The mirror is rotating very slowly, and with a subtly undulating motion that causes the room itself feel warped and unstable.

When reviewing reflection work created by Eliasson I became very attracted to this piece from the take your time exhibit. This piece reminds me of a vortex. A lot of artist who I have been examining have related back to a vortex such as Robert Smithson’s "four sided vortex" and the Giuseppe momo spiral staircase in the Vatican City, Rome.













No comments:

Post a Comment