Thursday 4 October 2012

Space in dancing


So, after coming to the conclusion that I wanted to focus on movement within space, I began looking at different types of dancing and how they need space to create movement. I started studying different dancers and I was really interested in ballet. I thought the outfits worn in ballet were very interesting. How the tutu moves, the different types of textures it has, the sound it makes, the feeling and the overall space in the garment. When studying this I began by pleating paper in circles. I then layered the paper with some netted fabric to create an actual tutu. I really liked the sound the paper made and the touch of the fabric.

I began looking at the actual space of a dance studio and how the floor is covered in marks and scratches from the dancer. I wanted to illustrate this in my work so I experimented with some acrylic paint on netting and drew with this. I then placed the tutu in the middle of the page. Unfortunately I do not have pictures at the moment as my camera is letting me down :( but I will get them up very soon :)

I am now beginning to study the space between the layers of fabric and paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment